How to earn money online as an adult
You can earn money online, but it's not as easy as it once was. The internet is now flooded with people selling products and services, so it's harder to compete. However, you can still earn money in the comfort of your own home with the right skills and tools. Here are some ways to do that:
- Work in a field that lets you work remotely
- Become an online editor
- Develop your skills in data entry
- Start blogging
- Consider Etsy
- Sell stock photographs online
- Build a website
- Open an e-commerce site
- Make money on Fiverr
- You can earn money in the comfort of your own home with the right skills and tools
Work in a field that lets you work remotely
The first step to earning money online as an adult is finding a job that allows you to work remotely. This can take some research, so start by checking out the following websites:
- Remote OK
- Vets Who Code
Become an online editor
As an editor, you’ll be responsible for reviewing written content submitted by authors and ensuring that it conforms to a set of standards.
You'll need to have exceptional skills in grammar and style, as well as being able to write clearly and concisely yourself. You’ll also need to have a keen eye for detail—a common mistake among writers is missing a deadline or forgetting about the name of their pet fish when writing about them in their memoirs.
As such, many editors are given little leeway when reviewing submissions; poor spelling alone can mean your work is rejected outright.
One way to get started as an editor is by creating a blog where you share your own work alongside freelance writing jobs that are available on sites like Upwork (formerly known as Elance).
If you're worried about getting paid less than other kinds of online gigs because there's less demand for this type of work online (or if English isn't your first language), keep in mind that some companies offer better rates than others!
Develop your skills in data entry
Data entry is one of the most common types of online gigs. It's also one of the easiest ways to start earning money, since you don't have to have any special skills or certifications. You can find data entry jobs on sites like Upwork, Freelancer and Fiverr, but here are some additional resources:
- 99Designs: (https://99designs.com) offers a variety of design tasks for $5 each, including editing photos and logos. You can bid on these projects individually or as a team—that means if your partner has graphic design experience and you don't know anything about it, they can help! This site also provides paid training opportunities for those who want them (and even pays up to $100 per month).
- Amazon Mechanical Turk: (https://www.mturkcrowdsourceexperts.com/) is a marketplace where companies post tasks that need completing quickly—for example: reviewing an article before it goes live or tagging images with keywords so they're searchable by users later on down the road—and then pay people who complete them accordingly (usually around $1 per task). If this sounds like something you could do well within a short amount of time each day/weekend afternoon/evening after work hours when everyone else has gone home already; then MTurk might be worth checking out!
- Start blogging.
- Blogging is a great way to make money online, and it doesn't take much to get started. In fact, you can start blogging on your own or take a course and learn how to do it on your own. Once you learn how to blog, then all you need is an idea for a niche topic that people are interested in reading about—and then create content around that topic! You can make money from ads that display on your website, affiliate marketing programs where other companies pay you when their products are sold after they've clicked through from your site (this is called affiliate marketing), or even selling your own products directly through your blog (this is called e-commerce).
- Find out what niches are popular right now by searching Google Trends for keywords related to those niches—you'll see which ones have been growing over time so that's another indicator of popularity too!
I’m going to be honest: Etsy isn’t a super-exciting income source. It is, however, one of the most reliable ways I can think of to make a little bit of money online as an adult.
Let me explain. Etsy is an online marketplace where people sell handmade goods and vintage items. If you have something handmade or vintage that no one else has—or even just something really cool (like my grandma's old quilts)—Etsy might be worth your time.
If you’re interested in selling on Etsy but don't know where to start, check out this fantastic guide from The Savvy Crafter. The blog also has some great tips for setting up your own Amazon affiliate store!
Sell stock photographs online
Stock photography is the practice of selling stock images and video clips. Stock images can be used in a variety of ways, from advertising to editorial use. They are usually sold through websites, but they are also sold in physical stores. There are a number of different websites that sell stock images, such as Shutterstock and iStockPhoto (formerly known as Getty Images).
Once you've signed up for one of these sites and made your account public, anyone will be able to search for your work and purchase it for their own use.
You'll receive payment when someone buys an image or video clip from you—usually after the image has been downloaded by someone else who wants to use it commercially in some way—which can be paid out with check or PayPal depending on which payment method they prefer using when buying something from you.
Build a website
- Build a website.
- Learn how to code.
- If you’re not a programmer, there are many free and paid courses online to get you started.
- You can also find free or low-cost resources (like Lynda) that will teach you the basics of coding for non-programmers.
- Get paid to write content for websites that need it in your area of expertise (or close enough).
Open an e-commerce site
- Choose a niche.
- Get started.
- Market your site and gain traffic to it, so it is visible on Google's search results page, which will help you generate more sales and profit from your e-commerce business in the long run.
- Make money by selling products or services through your online store (or both). This can be done by creating an account with a third party payment processor like PayPal where people can pay for their purchases or simply by collecting credit cards directly from customers who visit your online store and purchase something from it; either way you should never have any problems getting paid once someone makes a purchase through one of these methods since most payment processors offer 24/7 support if ever there was an issue getting paid for something that has been sold over time -- just make sure everything is set up correctly beforehand!
Make money on Fiverr
Fiverr is a platform where you can sell various services for $5. These range from creating graphics and logos to writing songs and poems.
You'll need to sign up for an account, which is completely free. You do need to provide some personal information, but there is no credit check or initial payment required (just don't forget your password).
Once you've created your account, you can start browsing through other sellers' offerings in order to find something that interests you. If there's nothing out there yet that strikes your fancywhich may be likely if this is your first time around Fiverr then think about what kind of services/products would be useful for people like yourself or even just as an extension of something else already offered on the site (e.g., "I'm not good at writing poetry but I want someone who can write poetry...").
After all, it wouldn't hurt having another option available when potential buyers come looking!
You can earn money in the comfort of your own home with the right skills and tools
But you have to put in the work like anywhere else. You don't have to be a tech genius or designer to make money online. You just need the right tools, and some creativity. You can work from anywhere in the world—your kitchen, your bedroom, your office at work—you name it. It's all up to you!
So there you have it: ten ways you can earn money online as an adult. We’ve covered everything from getting started with blogging to selling your stock photos on Etsy and everything in between.
The key takeaway is that if you have the right skills and tools, then there are plenty of options out there for making money. They may not all be easy money but they all require hard work, so don’t give up! With enough time and effort (plus patience), anyone can make their way into this industry—it just takes a little creativity on your part.